Subject: RE: [chairs] Membership for open source implementers

Paul,

This simply cannot be the sole criteria - there are so many companies now doing open source implementations - and of course my TC is a point in case - where the open source implementation is contributed by a major corporation.

The real criteria here is that an individual contributor - is facing hardship in meeting the membership fee - and then the fee can be waved descretionary.

If someone is going to all the effort of writing a solution - have an open public specification for that - that they have been able to contribute to and have their implementation optimize - 9 times out of 10 the membership fee is a no-brainer to promote that.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
From: Paul Fremantle <paul@wso2.com>
Date: Thu, April 05, 2007 5:30 pm
To: Gabe Wachob <gabe.wachob@amsoft.net>
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

Gabe

I completely agree. I think that any committer on any project actively
implementing an OASIS specification under an OSI license should be able
to apply for a Open Source Membership free-of-charge.

Personally I don't think this is going to cost OASIS any loss of income,
but it certainly will encourage a wider view of OASIS standards.

Paul