Subject: Re: [chairs] This Old House (OASIS) - Further Response to Peter Brown

Rob,

Just popped back in to close the office down.

On 4/28/2010 8:06 PM, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Patrick Durusau<patrick@durusau.net>  wrote on 04/28/2010 07:15:15 PM:
>
>> On 4/28/2010 5:11 PM, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, I think this is more like saying don't trust a house builder whose
>>> toolbox is not neatly organized.  Maybe, maybe not.  I think it is
>>> something that would need to be demonstrated, not assumed.
>>>

>> OK, how many examples would count for a demonstration?
>>

> Let's see if we can start with one good one.

OK, let's start at the OASIS homepage and go to the Committees by Name page.

Limiting ourselves to active TCs.

Looking at the right hand menu bar, if you wanted to check on the most
recent activity of a TC, does it seem likely you would choose the menu
choice labeled "minutes?"

Pick any three TCs and see what result you get.

BTW, while you are at each of those TCs, you might want to see what you
get under Documents as well.

You might want to also check on the FAQ link as well for the TCs.

Having navigation links that consistently resolve to something useful
for all TCs isn't that high of a bar.

Having TCs consistently store their documents so that members of the
public can find them, isn't that high of a bar.

>> Give me a reasonable number and I will post them to this list, naming
>> names as it were.
>>
>> Here's one to get us started (although this is true across all TCs that
>> I am aware of):
>>
>> Follow this link to get ODF email archives:
>>
>> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/messages.php
>>
>> Now, follow this link to get ODF email archives:
>>
>> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/
>>
>> Do you notice anything different about those two pages?
>>
>> (Hint: You can search using MarkMail with the second one.)
>>

> > From the public-facing perspective, the later URL is what is pointed to
> from the TC's public-facing home page, so that is what I expect the public
> would use.  The former URL is linked to from the password-protected Kavi
> page, so the public would not stumble on that page.  The exception would
> be a TC member posted an email with a hyperlink to a URL from the private
> repository.  Is that what you are seeing?   I know we had a problem
> similar to that with doc repository links a while back.

Missing my point.

The email documents in both cases are identical.

Why shouldn't TC members when they are logged in have the same email
search capabilities (MarkMail) as a member of the public?

Doesn't it seem odd that we would point TC members, who have logged in,
to less search capabilities for email?

>> Err, would having a uniform way to access email archives, hopefully
>> MarkMail, be too much trouble?
>>

> I assume that, for IPR documentation reasons at least, OASIS will always
> need to store their own copy of the emails.  But I wonder if a URL rewrite
> rule in Apache could simply redirect the "private" URLs to the public
> copy?  That would handle historic uses of the private URLs as well as
> future ones.

Well, yes, the MarkMail archive is a separate copy, probably for IPR
reasons.

But that doesn't mean we need separate pages for search capabilities. cf
the default public page which has both.

Hope you are at the start of a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net