ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] CIQ TC members, Please cast your vote

Hey,

It';s a good job we're not taking a vote on this Schema
goals stuff too - since IMHO the current schema stuff has
lamentably failed on most
of these criteria below!!!

Anyway:

1. We will support both DTD and W3C schema for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  YES
2. We will support only W3C Schema for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  NO
3. We will support only DTD for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  NO

Interestingly - I'm currently working on the ebXML AssemblyDoc
technology - and this provides a means to describe the
XML instance in simple XML and then automatically generate
DTD, Schema, RELAX or EDI structure definitions.  I beleive this
will solve the issue of how to adequately describe the interchange
and assembly requirements in ways Schema alone is not able to.

The full spec' for AssemblyDoc and samples (using address!)
will be available in two to three weeks.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by Nikolaj Nyholm
>The XML schema language shall be:

more expressive than XML DTDs;
expressed in XML;
self-describing;
usable by a wide variety of applications that employ XML;
straightforwardly usable on the Internet;
optimized for interoperability;
simple enough to implement with modest design and runtime resources;
coordinated with relevant W3C specs (XML Information Set, Links,
Namespaces,
Pointers, Style and Syntax, as well as DOM, HTML, and RDF Schema).
The XML schema language specification shall:

be prepared quickly;
be precise, concise, human-readable, and illustrated with examples.

</quotation><