ciq message

Subject: Re: [ciq] CIQ TC members, Please cast your vote

My views on this issue are based on my work developing postal addressing standards for the printing and mailing industry.  As a general rule, most of this constituency is not very advanced in using XML, which is a concern in terms of adoption of standards.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ram Kumar
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 6:42 PM
To: ciq@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: karl.best@oasis-open.org
Subject: [ciq] CIQ TC members, Please cast your vote

CIQ TC members,

We need to decide on whether we are going to support both DTD and
W3C Schema for our future versions of the CIQ Standards. To support
both DTD and W3C Schema, it is more work and in particular, when it
comes to namespace handling (which we intend to strongly support in our
future versions), DTD really suffers.

Can you please cast in your vote by answering the following questions
that will enable us to get a common view of the CIQ TC regarding this?
Please cast in your vote by Friday, 22 February 2002? Thanks

Regards

Ram Kumar

SUPPORT FOR DTD AND/OR W3C SCHEMA IN CIQ STANDARDS

Your Name: Joe Lubenow

1. We will support both DTD and W3C schema for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  YES/NO (YES)
2. We will support only W3C Schema for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  YES/NO (NO)
3. We will support only DTD for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  YES/NO (NO)

Comments, if any:
My views on this issue are based on working on postal addressing standards for the printing and mailing industry.  As a general rule, most of this constituency is not very advanced in using XML, which is a concern in terms of adoption of standards.

In some cases it is helpful to begin with a DTD and then migrate to a schema in order to develop stricter validation criteria.  The DTD is less verbose than the W3C schema format and can be easier to understand. Besides, schema technology is not yet fully developed.

It seems to me that this issue could be resolved on a standard by standard basis, taking into account the maturity of the standard and the need for features available through the use of XML schema.