ciq message

Subject: [ciq] FW: Comparison of Address Elements

CIQ TC

Joe Lubenow of CIQ TC has made a comparative study of different postal address formats
namely, xNAL, HR-XML, ADIS, ECCMA, CEN, and AMS. I have enclosed the article.
An interesting read.

Regards

Ram
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Lubenow [mailto:lubenow@msn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 9 July 2002 2:01 AM
To: Ram Kumar
Subject: Comparison of Address Elements

Ram, here is a paper I wrote for the USPS international address template working group which met in Washington DC recently.  It compares various address element lists that have been circulated or are in use, whether these are part of an XML specification or not.

My comments are derived from the point of view of the designer of a template for final presentation of an address on a mail piece, following the methodology in my PATDL paper which I sent you previously.  This is a particular and limited perspective, and yet I also try to reflect alternate ways to view the issue, such as the "application independent" perspective which you have put forward.  The PATDL methodology has been successful in reconstituting U.S. test addresses that had been parsed using USPS CASS certified software, and I am interested in seeing if that result can apply to other countries as well.

In comparing xNAL I used the latest draft version, which is more comprehensive than the previous versions, and I hope that I accurately reflected what is in the draft.  Please feel free to correct me on any points you think are misunderstood!  You may also redistribute this paper to the CIQ TC if you wish to do that.