clr-dev message

Subject: Re: [clr-dev] Question about the validation tools

 > Any XPath expression can be used.

I feel a bit uncomfortable with that because:

(1) I'm thinking of working with object instances generated from XML
files and I want to apply the validation rules directly to these objects
at the GUI level -- or displaying the filtered choices to the user.

(2) My idea is to have the application read the XPath / Schematron
expressions and see how I can apply these rules directly on the objects.

(3) It might not be an easy task because I see that the XPath grammar --
http://www.antlr.org/grammar/1264460091565/XPath2.g -- is somehow very
elaborated.

Would this be a possibility that OASIS defines a subset of the XPath
grammar authorized in a CVA file, with this in mind that the expressions
allowed in that subset could easily be parsed by most languages, even
those that do not understand natively XPath? After all, there might be a
chance that not all of XPath be useful to grab a record...

Eric.