clr-dev message

Subject: RE: [clr-dev] SKOS representation?

Hi Ken,

The DDI Lifecycle (3.2) specification is using DDI Controlled Vocabularies (CV) for code lists. The CVs are not part of the DDI specification. They are just a recommendation and are published separately. Custom CVs could be built for specific uses. The CVs are represented in Genericode.

Example Summary Statistics, see:
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-CV/SummaryStatisticType_1.0.html
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-CV/

The CV can be referenced by the TypeOfSummaryStatistic in DDI 3.2, see:
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/physicalinstance_xsd/elements/TypeOfSummaryStatistic.html

We are currently working on a RDF representation of a subset of DDI, the DDI-RDF Discovery Vocabulary (Disco), see:
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/RDF/Discovery
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/RDF

Summary statistics are also part of this RDF vocabulary.

If the CV on summary statistics would be represented by some means accessible by semantic technologies, then the values could be exploited by Disco as well. Some details would have then to be changed in Disco (class SummaryStatistics).

Here are more details on how to represent it in SKOS.
Example for the entry "ArithmeticMean" of the Summary Statistic Vocabulary:
skos:notation "ArithmeticMean" ;
skos:prefLabel "Arithmetic mean (X)"@en ;
skos:definition "Mathematical average of a set of values. The mean is calculated by adding up two or more values and dividing the total by their number. In social/political science, it is usually the sum of the measurements divided by the number of subjects, or cases."@en ;

A hierarchy, like it is used in Time Method, could be described by skos:narrower and skos:broader.
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-CV/TimeMethod_1.0.html

Further details regarding the general description of a DDI CV in SKOS:
DDI CV/Genericode - SKOS
title - altLabel
Description - definition
Short Name - notation
Long Name - prefLabel
Version - ?
Canonical URI - ?
Canonical URI of this version - ?
Location URI - URI (Could be the same as the canonical URI of this version?)
Alternate format location URI - ?, could be solved by HTTP content negotiation
Agency Name - ?

The ?s have to explored further.

Here are some examples of similar approaches, HASSET will be available as well in Genericode.

HASSET - the Humanities and Social Science Electronic Thesaurus
http://hassetukda.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/timeline-and-work-packages/
Scroll down to "WORKPACKAGE 1"

ADMS (Asset Description Metadata Schema) uses SKOS for a similar purpose, see:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms/document/skos-used-publish-controlled-vocabularies-defined-adms-web
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/svn/adms/ADMS_v1.00/

Other codelist examples:
https://github.com/data-gov-ie/cso2rdf/tree/master/Codelists

Cheers,
Achim

--
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Department: Monitoring Society and Social Change