Subject: RE: [cmis] unreadable property names and current clients?

Thanks Al and Florent for your feedback. It's good to see that we can resolve some issues/implementation differences before the PlugFest. I will create a JIRA entry to continue the discussion.

@Florent: Our client also does the lookup in the property definition. However I am not happy with this approach as it causes an unnecessary burden to the client to cache in some form the property definitions. In a large repository there easily can be tens of thousands of properties. Also if I consider a  mobile device as a potential CMIS client I would like to avoid this additional lookup.

I had the same idea as Al. It would be helpful and nice to deliver the display name everywhere where we get a property value. I will file a JIRA change request to change the spec in this aspect. I also suggest to add a comment to the spec that a property name can be a technical name and that only the display name should be presented to the user. A similar situation is if the client wants to create a query: The spec enforces that the property name is used as a column name in a query. If we get query name and display name with a property value we should be fine for both cases.

The confusion with property id vs. property name was discussed on the f2f meeting. It seems that the issue is that the property id "is unique" (without mentioning in what space) and the name is unique within the type hierarchy and to be used in a query. So both are unique but one is more unique than the other and this more unique is repository specific. If I remember correctly there was a use case for this that nobody exactly could remember. Summarizing the discussion here the use case looks like to expose "the URI or un-mangled form of the property". In this way a repository can expose something that is unique in whatever scope it considers useful. This makes sense to me. However I am still not sure what a client should do with this information. My suggestion would be to add this information to the spec where the property id is introduced. This seems to be a separate JIRA issue.

I filed those under:

http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CMIS-112

http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CMIS-113

Of course feel free to extend and improve the proposal.

Jens