Subject: Re: [codelist] codelist example

At 2007-04-17 06:45 +1000, Ram Kumar wrote:
>I will look into the references. In our schema's we use codelists
>and these code lists are separate files as enumeration lists and are
>included as part of the base schema model. What we want to do is,
>use the metadata schema model for codelist that you are proposing
>instead of our own schema model.

I'm confident you'll find the information useful.

Note that in UBL we separated structural/lexical validation
accomplished by XSD with value validation (of code lists, identifier
lists, and any controlled-vocabulary information item) accomplished
by Schematron as implemented by XSLT.

This is an important distinction.

In the UBL XSD schemas, a code list information item is just an
unconstrained normalized string.  Any lexically-valid entry will
validate the XSD constraints.  The value constraints are addressed in
a "second pass" that is expressed in Schematron and implemented in
XSLT.  We posit that business rules between trading partners will
impact on document values and, therefore, should not be hardwired in
the schemas.  Rather, we regarding value validation as layered on top
of structural/lexical validation.

As I say in my hands-on code list class[1]:

  - structural constraints ensure information items are correctly found
  - lexical constrains ensure information items are correctly formed
  - value constraints ensure information items are correctly understood

This is described in overview in the UBL 2.0 specification:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/UBL-2.0.html#CODELISTS

I hope this helps.

[1] information regarding the "Practical Code List Implementation"
hands-on training class can be found on our web site linked in my
trailer below, following the "Training schedule and course syllabi"
link on the right side of the page.

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc