Subject: CVA scope creep?

Hi folks,

With the advent coming of W3C Schema 1.1, there is an opportunity to
add to the scope of context/value association (CVA) files ... but I'm
worried about scope creep.

Right now a CVA file is only associated contexts with code list values.

It would be easy to add to CVA files the association of contexts with
arbitrary values expressed in XPath.  Such values could be
requirements such as qualifying data types ... for example by
imposing a string length:

    string-length(.) = 35

In a W3C Schema 1.1 implementation of CVA file this would translate
into a combination of enumerations, facets and assertions.  It would
mean being able to express all of the requirements in one file rather
than a combination of files.

Similarly, in a Schematron implementation of CVA file this would
allow one to express all of the requirements in one file rather than
a combination of files.

I've completed the prototyping and it meshes well with the current
design.  But I'm at the stage where I can easily unwind my changes if
you think this is a non-starter.  I don't want to waste more of my
time on it if the committee feels strongly it is out of scope.

Managing all of one's context/value associations in a single
declarative fashion sounds attractive to me, but do you believe going
beyond the association of code lists going beyond our scope?  Do you
need to see a more polished prototype before offering an opinion?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!  If I don't hear any disagreements,
I'll prepare the next draft for committee review.  If Tony gets his
genericode change proposals posted soon, then we an cover off both in
our first return call (not yet scheduled).

. . . . . . . . . . Ken

p.s. please let me know if anyone doesn't have Skype with which to
participate in committee conference calls.  In the UBL committee
we've been having a lot of success in conference calls and for remote
participation in our face-to-face plenary using http://www.yugma.com
for desktop broadcast.  The Skype Edition is a free download and
install (third column on home page) and need only be downloaded by
those who are sharing their screen with others ... if you plan only
to view someone else's screen, there is nothing to download in
advance.  You just sign into a web page without downloading anything
and you get to view the host's screen.

--
XSLT/XQuery/XSL-FO hands-on training - Los Angeles, USA 2009-06-08
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc