Subject: Re: [codelist] New feature request for genericode 2.0

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:20:06 +0100, G. Ken Holman
<gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com> wrote:

> Should there, then, be an informative annex in genericode with
> "suggested" values for Identifier= attributes?  So that when other users
> of genericode choose to map to UN/CEFACT supplementary components, the
> same conventions will be used?  For completeness, that annex could list
> all of the UN/CEFACT supplementary components and document what the
> CLRTC offers as mappings to genericode.

I don't see any problem with that.

> But could we consider having:  <ShortName>, <LongName> and <Identifier>
> in <Identification>?  Then it wouldn't be a problem for UN/CEFACT
> components.  That choice of three elements is already made for <Agency>,
> rather than one short and two long names for <Agency>, so there is a
> precedent of having sibling <LongName> and <Identifier> elements.

Speaking for myself, I'm not keep to see <Identifier> in
<Identification>.  The thing is, all of the elements in <Identification>
are identifiers of one form or another.  Just because CEFACT call
something an identifier doesn't make it any more of an identifier than
other identifiers, if you see what I mean.  For a genericode code list,
the key identifiers are the canonical URIs.

For that reason, my preferred approached would be to define a standard
@Identifier attribute for <LongName>, or to define a standard annotation
to use for the CEFACT identifier.  That said, with UN/CEFACT ICG looking
at using genericode, we should perhaps look at what they do with it, and
perhaps let that guide us a bit.  Is this actually an issue where it's
more useful to get UBL and UN/CEFACT to agree on their genericode usage,
rather than CLRTC trying to resolve it?

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates