Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Supporting translations in STIX

I’m fine waiting until a future release to solve this problem.

Regards

Allan

On 6/29/16, 1:19 AM, "Trey Darley" <trey@kingfisherops.com> wrote:

On 29.06.2016 03:12:47, Allan Thomson wrote:
> If a threat actor is communicating in non-english over an IIRC
> channel and those communications were captured and the threat
> intelligence organization that captured it, wants to share what they
> said in English translation, would that not be communicated via
> cybox data?
>
> What if an email is written in non-english and sent as a phishing
> email to targets, the threat intel organization wants to translate
> to another language so that their team can understand what the
> content says for context awareness?
>
> I understand the perspective that CyBox is primarily intended to
> represent facts in the packets being communicated so for the two use
> cases above, how would the translated information be provided in
> STIX/CyBox.

Oi, Allan, you raise an excellent point. I had unquestioningly gone
along with the group consensus that translation only affected STIX but
you pose a thorny set of use cases.

To me this is yet more evidence for why we should punt on i18n until
the winter release. But let's table this for the next working call,
shall we?

--
Cheers,
Trey