Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Goals for TAXII 2.0

While many of the operational security details areof course  implementation specific, there are elements of same that belong in normative standards and related architectural design.

You can rest assured our adversaries will see TAXII Gateways as prime targets for exploitation and will also be subscribing to any and all available services.  The power of real-time access to Cyber-Intelligence is a double edged sword and we should use our imagination to devise exploitation scenarios and what we as architects can do to anticipate and mitigate same.

Security will always be the antithesis of "ease of use" so there will be many perspectives in this related discourse.  However, I would argue for "Security" as one of the "Core Tenets".

Patrick Maroney
Office: (856)983-0001
Cell: (609)841-5104
pmaroney@specere.org
From: cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:01:47 AM
To: Davidson II, Mark S
Cc: Trey Darley; Terry MacDonald; cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org

OK now things are starting to be more clear... essentially

- PUSH messages with subscriptions would require TAXII services to be open to both parties so one can subscribe then the other can push. So, this model does not really make sense for hub-and-spoke

- However, PUSH messages could also be used for an INBOX service without any subcription information. This model aligns with hub-and-spoke, where the spoke can push to the hub but not vice-versa.

So, harkening back to "Tenant 1" - I would propose that the publish / subscribe model in TAXII 2.0 should be adapted to be POLL only. Then it would work with hub-and-spoke.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/07/15 09:50:41 AM---Subscription Information is optional in an Inbox Me"Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/07/15 09:50:41 AM---Subscription Information is optional in an Inbox Message. FWIW, I see how this would be confusing -