cti message

Subject: Text-Based Notes of Tuesday Working Call

John-Mark Gurney

Gary Katz

Jackie Eun Park

Agenda:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ TAXII 2x Updates

oÂÂ Working Draft 04 Review

oÂÂ Query proposals

oÂÂ Client User-Agent

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Cyber Observables Mini-Group Updates

Meeting Notes:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ WD04 Update

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ â The review period ends this Friday, end-of-day

â What is new in this draft

â The TAXII Envelope all media types are now TAXII

â Add âlimitâ and âspec_versionsâ filter parameters

â Added clarifying text around date added timestamp needing to be millisecond precision

â Cleanup on descriptions of error messages

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ TAXII Query Problem Statement

â There is no current way to find the relationships that point at a STIX Object.

â The only thing you can do is pull every relationship down and then try and filter then on the client.

â We need a way to pivot

â I have an indicator or campaign, tell me if anything is linked against it

â There are two proposal ideas for doing this

Proposal #1

â Create a simple endpoint like: Â{api-root}/collections/{id}/relationships/related/{stix-id}/

â This would result in a very simple database query and URL filtering logic. Something like:

Pseudo SQL code: select * from table-objects where type=relationship && (source_ref = stixid || target_ref = stixid)

We should define a URL parameter called ?deref=true

â This would tell the server to not only send the relationship object,

but also the object that it points to

â This could also be used for simple queries where you want to ask the server to automatically send the created_by_ref identity as well

â Or automatically send you all of the objects from a Report

Proposal #2 (Not Mutually Exclusive)

Create one or more search endpoints like

Â{api-root}/collections/{id}/search/

{api-root}/search/

â These endpoints would accept some sort of âquery or information-request objectâ

Summary

â We talked about this on the list and there seems to be 6 people that like or prefer a simple solution that we could deploy quickly.

â 1 TC member is against proposal 1 as it does not provide all of the features and solve all of the use-cases needed for query

â We could easily do both, the simple solution now TAXII 2.1, and the more complex one in TAXII 2.2.

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Chris Ricard

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Letâs keep it as consistent with previous versions as possible

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Jeffrey Mates

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I like the proposal â Proposal 1

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I think this is a good start â the Use Cases in the future will need to be developed

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sean Barnum

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Proposal 2 has been on the table for a while â I concur with Gary that Proposal 1 would not

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Paint us into a corner

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Drew Varner

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ In terms of API, we have a âobjectsâ endpoint â

it seems odd to have a ârelationshipsâ endpoint

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I was trying to get something on paper, we could work on this â get out an WD05

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Drew Varner

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Would relationships return ârelationshipsâ

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I was trying to find a way to add a pivot functionality, in a RESTful wayâ and

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Can get out quickly

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I am sympathetic to the Jason & Terry proposal â I still want to Crawl, Walk, Run

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ And having the simple Pivot in the short term would be good.

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Tried to get clarification on the Use Cases each proposal would represent]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Gave examples for clarification]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I am still somewhat skeptical of this proposal â We are going to spend time adding

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ To the Specâ and Interop

 What is driving this? I get the concept and look-upsâ

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Gave example of the basic need for pivoting from his [analyst] days and other]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ It was a disincentive to implementing TAXII

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ They are treating TAXII as the repository of information, rather than a database

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Designed for some of this stuff â you raised an example

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ It is a product that uses TAXII

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Any products should use a database designed to do this

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Made argument that an interoperable ecosystem should pivot with query]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ If the majority think there is value is thisâ and they are willing to do the work

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Then, I stand aside â If everyone is willing to do the work

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ My opinion is that it is not a well-defined Use Case

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sean Barnum

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Speaking as a Threat Intel provider â this is one of the most fundamental thing â Query

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Gave example of âPushâ model, Gave example of âPull-Queryâ model, &

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gave example of âInteractive-Pivotâ]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ That is an hourly, if not minute-by-minute request from our customers

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Talked about the way it is now â This is a very real-world very high priority

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Yes, sometimes you have a small enough volume â but, if you are a provider that

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Has terabytes of data â you are not going to tell them to go pull everything.

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gave example of PassiveTotal and VirusTotal â They have APIs

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sarah Kelley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We are enforcing the concept of âDoneâ on STIX2â. Should we be implementing

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The same thing for TAXII2?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Is there anyone other than Allan that is against doing this?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I remain supportive and I hear Sarahâs concerns â and so I think we may want to POC

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I do actually have one implementation on this

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ *************New Topic*********

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Outlined the topic brought up by Marlon on User-Agent]

â A TC member has asked that we add support for a TAXII Client user-agent element.

â This would more easily allow servers to diagnose problems from clients talking to the server.

â Should we add support for this?

â If so, should this be an optional or mandatory feature?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Jeffrey Mates

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Made point of how change from where we are now

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John-Mark Gurney

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Made point about use of automation for User Agent

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John Wunder

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Would it be âRequiredâ?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bret Jordan

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Should be a âShouldâ â and would be based on HTTP

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John-Mark Gurney

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I would agree that it should be a âShouldâ â A lot of HTTP Clients already are using this

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John Wunder

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I should take a look at the ATT&CK logs to see if it does it â and others

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ [Gave update on Observed Data Mini Group]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Links to Documents Discussed:

â Part 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yf8TZCtbF-ldiDAY5-gIvspGmJoJ48uP2FJdir5Xzpc/edit#heading=h.4do73o99e2l7

â Part 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12I2vOdPU48VoyNMiE9HOp3AzDZJA8cOnnuomEvbjZbQ/edit#heading=h.t32x0azc539r

â Part 3: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UqmRluGk5Y9j7ZcSdPR5ARTXMxa3C3JswV6Lc3FcZww/edit#heading=h.t32x0azc539r

â Part 4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_mo0GzMNZIPOeP2gXQaLXEX-6v--CYfpmWvYF4_Y_QM/edit#heading=h.t32x0azc539r

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Change Summary â Part 1

â 1.5.3 Update description to describe Relationship Targets that can either be SCO or SDO

â 1.5.5 Added STIX to Cyber Observable name to make it consistent and understandable. Introduce SCO as defined acronym

â 2.7 Added STIX Cyber Observable Identifier that defines explanation of scâidentifier that is used for STIX Cyber observable identification. Mentions that properties in SCO doc defines how the hash is computed

â 3.5 Common Relationships. Updated to include SCOs that could be referenced by common relationships.

Change Summary â Part 2

â 2.4 Added Fact-List SDO object definition

â 2.10 Changed Observed-Data definition to deprecate objects property and add embedded reference to Fact-List SDO

â 2.12 Added sco_refs property that points to the list of SCO contained by this report

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ NOTE: Could point to a fact list object in object_refs instead also if desired.

â 3.1 Updated to describe that a relationship can be between Relationship Targets (SCO and SDO) and added properties to handle that

Change Summary â Part 3

â Throughout Doc: Change confusing terms that used âobjectsâ to consistent âSTIX Cyber Observableâ or âSCOâ

â 1.5.1 Added definition of Cyber Observable Identifier

â 1.5.2 Removed as no longer required in this section

â 2 Updated type table to correct SCO reference and removed observable-objects as its not required as it is replaced by either an array of SCO identifiers or a relationship object itself

â 2.3 Change Reference to Cyber Observable Reference. This is equivalent to an embedded reference to an SDO but this is an embedded reference to a SCO

â 2.4. Removed Observable Objects as itâs no longer required. We either point to an SDO (fact-list) or a list of SCOs

â 3.1 Added id as common required property for SCOs

â 3.1 Added equiv_ids dictionary to capture semantic equivalence map for SCO lookups

â 3.2 Removed object references as no longer required here

â 3.4 Updated object relationships to only talk about embedded Cyber observable relationships

Change Summary â Part 4

â 1.5.3 Added section to introduce hash functions that should be used when computing hashes for SCO

â 2.4.1 Deprecated resolves_to_refs SCO direct reln

â 2.8.1 Deprecated resolves_to_refs & belongs_to_refs SCO direct reln

â 2.9.1 Deprecated resolves_to_refs & belongs_to_refs SCO direct reln

â 2.12 Deprecated encapsulates_refs & encapsulated_by_ref SCO direct reln

â Throughout Document:

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Added in each property section a proposed algorithm for the hash creation for the SCO

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John-Mark Gurney

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Iâd like to participate in this Mini-Group

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Weâll make sure you get invited to the next meeting

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I have a presentation on this â we donât have time â I do have a point on how ID set

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I agree â I thought that from the beginning

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The MiniGroup has made progress â It takes everyone to come to the table

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ With a willingness to compromise

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Come with ideasâ and come with the spirit of compromise

Chat Panel:

From chris ricard to Everyone:Â 01:24 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan - I get a sighting on an indicator, and I want to know more about it.

From Allan Thomson to Everyone:Â 01:24 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ i would like to respond to trey

From sean.barnum to Everyone:Â 01:25 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ This sort of pivoting is one of the most fundamental and common needs for TAXII access to threat intel providers

From Allan Thomson to Everyone:Â 01:26 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ most systems today pull information in complete sets based on periodic polling and do pivoting ÂÂ once sync-d.

From John Wunder to Everyone:Â 01:33 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Iâm not against doing it but I agree w/ Sarah that it should follow the same vetting process

From Allan Thomson to Everyone:Â 01:34 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ if the vetting occurred then it would show the value of the feature and help justify.

From Emmanuelle Vargas-Gonzalez to Everyone:Â 01:38 PM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The OASIS TAXII client does use the User-Agent

From jordan to Everyone:Â 01:47 PM

I am scared silly of doing anything in TAXII that cannot be verified to work first.

Meeting Terminated

Jane Ginn, MSIA, MRP
CTI TC Secretary, OASIS
+1 (928) 399-0509