cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] Items Ready for TC Wide Final Review

I am with Jason, Andras and Pat on this.

I do not view this as a drastic or significant change.
This portion of the spec is currently undergoing change exactly because the original language was shown to be overly restrictive in its limitation to UUIDv4.
One possible solution is to only add in UUIDv5 which is where we currently stand but that just moved us a little closer to where we should be but still leaves us with clearly overly restrictive limitations as has been pointed out.
I also do not agree with a characterization that this is one or two people wishing to overturn the will of the rest of the TC. There have been quite a few people voicing concern with the overly restrictive language (especially recently but some of us for a long time) and as Jason and Andras point out I have not really heard anyone arguing strongly to keep the overly restrictive language especially not with any explicit rationale or justifying evidence why it should be there.

I agree with you that we need to be careful not to reargue the same debates over and over as we will not make progress.
At the same time, when issues are identified and people understand the need to change something we similarly cannot reject it simply because it represents change. If we do that we may make progress but it will not be forward toward our mutual goal but rather backward or sideways away from it.

Sean Barnum
Principal Architect
FireEye
M: 703.473.8262