cti message

Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] TAXII Pagination Example Text

It's also worth noting that microsecond precision is often a lie in multi-server systems because time skew between systems exceeds single microsecond accuracy.  Due to among other things:

1. Unpredictable delays caused by switching and routing NTP packets
2. Every 1,000ft of fiber adds ~1 micro-second of latency, and most of us don't account for this when building out our infrastructure to ensure uniform cable lengths between every device in every data center.
3. NTP packets need to be processed and applied to the CPU's clock which depends on system overhead (but I think it does have higher priority than must due to fun with interrupts)
4. Quartz crystal clocks can have up 5 microseconds of drift per second.

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/TSD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer Scientist
Technical Solutions Development
jeffrey.mates@dc3.mil
410-694-4335

-----Original Message-----
From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Andras Iklody
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 7:49 AM
To: Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>; cti@lists.oasis-open.org

All active links contained in this email were disabled.  Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

----

Hello Bret,

the problem with this is that TAXII / STIX are meant to work on the transport layer, not necessarily the native storage behind it. For example, if we deal with a passiveDNS system behind a TAXII connector, having microsecond precision would be absolutely meaningless, hence the second-precision values are converted to "YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS.ssssssZ"
on the fly by padding everything beyond seconds.

This would mean that for systems such as this pagination would not be possible if more values exist than the limit / page.

Best regards,
Andras