Subject: RE: [dita-comment] can we allow <ditavalref> at the top level of a <bookmap>?

Hi Eric, Kris,

Outstanding, thank you!

In a related question, do you know if there’s a way to pull an entire bookmap into another bookmap, chapter structure and all? For example, I’d like to do something like

<bookmap>

  <mapresources>

    <ditavalref href="">/>

  </mapresources>

  <mapref href="">  <!-- ??? -->

</bookmap>

<bookmap>

  <mapresources>

    <ditavalref href="">/>

  </mapresources>

  <mapref href="">  <!-- ??? -->

</bookmap>

where product_A_B_shared.ditamap contains the entire bookmap structure (chapters, frontmatter, backmatter, glossary, etc.) I’d like to reference that entire shared bookmap structure, but with the DITAVAL conditions applied from a wrapper map. But I don’t see a “reference map in-place” element in the <bookmap> schema.

Our company has a number of similar-but-different books where the entire bookmap structure must be shared (to retain familiarity for customers transitioning between products).

Eventually I believe Oxygen’s support for DITA-OT project file contexts will enable this, but we’re waiting for some fixes. In the meantime, if there’s a way to reference bookmaps in their entirety from wrapper bookmaps (or maps??), this might provide an alternate solution.

Thanks again,

  • Chris