dita-sidsc message

Subject: RE: [dita-sidsc] IEEE P1685 purpose and scope

Hi All,

My thinking is that IP-XACT and DITA have two distinct and separate
purposes.

IP-XACT defines how to store SoC data for use by tools to automate the
development process.  This is at a static, architectural level defining the
IP libraries, the IP interfaces, the IP file locations, the design's IP
instantiations, and the interconnection thereof. This does not capture the
features and intent of the application specific logic that may be packaged
within IP-XACT. Such features and intent are generally captured into
programming languages like SystemC, SystemVerilog, Verilog, VHDL, C, etc.

In my view, DITA serves as a generic way to represent information in a
domain specialized topic-oriented fashion for the purpose of presentation to
humans.  One benefit with DITA is the ecosystem of authoring and publishing
tools.  With DITA you specify how the content is presented in tables and
bullets etc, and how topics are related for the purpose of human readable
presentation. IP-XACT is structured data that is essentially code for
development tools and does not define how the content is presented.

SPIRIT IP-XACT defines a model for the register content.  Most (if not all)
of the data that is required to construct register-map documentation is
available in IP-XACT and what is not can be added. By keeping the IP-XACT
separate from DITA we separate concerns in a nice way.  DITA has
presentation information, IP-XACT does not. To move forward I think we need
to define a way to represent register info in DITA so that it can be
processed with off-the-shelf DITA tools.  By mixing schemas using <foreign>
elements to reference IP-XACT content we will lose the ability to use
generic off-the-shelf DITA tools to process memory-map/register data as DITA
topics. SVG and MathML, which have been cited as examples of <foreign>
content are a little different than IP-XACT since their purpose is for
providing something that is presented to humans and can not easily be
represented in DITA.

To me it makes a lot of sense to derive the DITA topics from IP-XACT and
hide details so that only the important technical publication information is
represented in DITA. This separation of concerns simplifies things for the
tech pubs teams so they don't need to learn the complexities of IP-XACT.
There are various ways to parse IP-XACT and convert/transform this into DITA
topics so I don't think we should impose any particular processing language
or way of doing this. With the IP-XACT schema and a DITA specialization the
transformation is essentially defined and I think our time as a group is
better spent  defining the structure of a DITA specialization rather than
implementing this transformation.

As for other standards, SPIRIT is working to sync up with OSCI TLM 2.0, so
maybe this is a standard we would want to look at too.  I agree with
Seraphim that there is other standards that should guide DITA-SIDSC. I also
agree that we should make the IP standards and the documentation standards
as interoperable as possible.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents, for what it's worth...

Cheers,
  Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ralph