dita-translation message

Subject: Re: [dita-translation] Revised version of the Acronym/Glossary Proposal

Attended: Don Day (chair, minutes), Nick Rosenthal, Jeff Ogden, Robert
Anderson, Kara Warburton, Erik Hennum

Review of changes--JoAnn added an acronym into the glossary example, added
a sentence that vendors can require duplication of terms instead of empty
elements, made a few wording tweaks, revised the draft-comment area

Discussion about new input:
Revise the paragraph, and move the example code after the paragraph that
starts "However..." and make the sentence relate to the example that now
follows.

Q: how about a matching example of the markup when the element is left
empty? Probably makes sense for it to follow the paragraph discussing empty
elements.

Q: What about the concern that some translators might insist on it not
being empty? Jeff--we are changing the order to emphasize the preferred and
then the full form response.

Draft comment comes out, the new glossAlt example stays in.

Jeff asked about JoAnn's "levels of nesting" comment.  EH If we flatten, we
lose the ability to associate properties with an alternate term. Jeff
agreed, was asking to make sure that was the consensus.

Jeff: how does processing resolve keys? Erik explained the processing--its
a general characteristic of keyref processing, we will capture the
discussion in this document as a way to get it into the spec. (suggested
inserting this by the gloss-group table).

Jeff: one of the examples should show a case of a keyref where the
abbreviation is different from the keyref.

Kara: like the case of car-ABS and ship-ABS (which resolve to two different
known expansions of ABS)

Robert will wordsmith these ideas for the revision and upload to the
dita-translation doc page; we'll need to copy the links to the TC list to
let them know.

Nick--expressed his realization that this activity has moved in the right
direction; cross-validating on the two-way basis is a good thing.

Adjourned at 10:45 Central

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

   --T.S. Eliot

             "JoAnn Hackos"
             <joann.hackos@com
             tech-serv.com>                                             To
                                       <dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
             01/27/2008 09:57          org>, "Rodolfo M. Raya"
             AM                        <rmraya@maxprograms.com>, "Bruce
                                       Esrig" <bruce.esrig@gmail.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       "Kara Warburton" <KARA@CA.IBM.COM>,
                                       Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       "Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>,
                                       "Michael Priestley"
                                       <mpriestl@CA.IBM.COM>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [dita-translation] Revised version
                                       of the Acronym/Glossary Proposal

Hello All:
I have made minor changes to Erik's version of the acronym/glossary
proposal and included one draft comment. See the addition of the comment
about leaving an empty element in a translation. I added a sentence that
suggests that translation software may generate an error in this case. The
solution I suggest is to have the translator duplicate the <glossterm> in
all instances including surface form and full form.

I cannot take part in the Monday or Tuesday meetings of the translation SC
or the DITA TC. ( I am teaching a workshop) Could I ask Gershon to
represent the Translation SC at both meetings?

Gershon, please let me know if you can chair a translation SC meeting to
review the A/G proposal once more.

I have not incorporated Bruce Esrig's rewording. I could also not process
the HTML version because the version I opened of Erik's Arbortext content
did not display any of the tables after the first. Have no idea why.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

 (See attached file: IssueGlossary12026.dita)