dita-translation message

Subject: FW: Join with UNICODE, LISA, and IBM to improve globalization

 fyi

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Arle Lommel [mailto:arle@lisa.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:13 AM
To: JoAnn Hackos

Dear colleagues,

In order to support the UNICODE Consortium in its goals of providing high-quality localization-related information, LISA is teaming up with IBM corporation to submit and review data for Unicode’s Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR, http://www.unicode.org/cldr) project, which collects and provides data such as date/time formats, numeric formatting, translated language and country names, and time zone information that is needed to support globalization.

As someone involved with globalization, translation, localization, or related fields, we would like to invite you to contribute to the CLDR for languages and countries with which you are familiar. Participation in the project requires only a small investment of time and energy (usually one-three hours per week), but the input you provide will assist many developers in globalizing their applications properly and in meeting local business needs.

Individuals who actively contribute to the project may be eligible to receive LISA individual membership (€425 value) as a token of our thanks and recognition of their contributions. At the end of this message I enclose a list of the languages and countries that have been identified by IBM and LISA as of special interest (contributions to other languages are welcome as well). If you feel you could assist with any of these language/country combinations or if you have any questions, please contact me (Arle Lommel) at arle@lisa.org for more details.

Best regards,

Arle Lommel
Chair, LISA OSCAR Standards Chair
arle@lisa.org