Subject: Minutes March 22, 2005 regular meeting

Minutes March 22nd, 2005 regular meeting (thanks to Chris Wong!)

0. Minute-taker volunteer
Chris Wong was volunteered

1. Roll call
Members: France Baril, Stanley Doherty, Rob Frankland, Paul Grosso, Eliot
Kimber, Chris Kravogel, Indi Liepa, Dave Schell, Kevin Shaum, Wendy
Shepperd, Sharon Veach, Chris Wong, Don Day (13/23: quorum met; 16 needed
for 2/3rds majority on polls)
Prospective: Paul Prescod, Dana Spradley (both now Voting Members at end of
call), Kirsten Nothstine (1 of 3)
Observers: Mary McRae, David Brainard, Erik Hennum, Nancy Harrison, Eric
Sirois

Mary McRae pointed out that because the last meeting was held half a
day before the public review period ended, the vote to approve the
second DITA 1.0 committee draft for member review was technically
nonbinding. This meeting lacked the 2/3 quorum needed to re-approve
the draft.

2. Review/approve minutes

March 8 minutes approval: Wendy Shepperd motioned, Sharon Veach seconded.
March 15 minutes approval: France Baril motioned, David Schell seconded.

3. Assessment:
  - Any change of duties at this time?

Michael Priestley will remain as editor.

Seraphim Larsen will remain as minute taker. Paul Prescott volunteered to
be the alternate minute taker.

Eliot Kimber will remain as parliamentarian.

France Baril volunteered to be the secretary.

  - Note OASIS cleaning of rosters as new IPR policy adoption nears

Membership rosters will need to be updated for the new OASIS IPR
transition, to better reflect members' obligations and restrictions
under the new policy. The TC's transition to the new IPR will not take
place until at least 50% of members have signed the new Membership
Agreement, and the TC votes to transition. The TC will have 2 years to
make the transition. Member companies' voting representatives will
need to be briefed on the new IPR policy.

4. Requirements gathering:

Don Day: requirements are mostly already written in some form in the
past. The task is to determine the appropriate scope and backwards
compatibility of the releases. DITA 2.0 will be the first opportunity
to introduce incompatible design changes. Pre 2.0 versions such as 1.1
will have bug fixes and forward-compatible design changes.

Members had no objections to Don's starting point for discussion.

Paul G. would like us to keep all requirements, including those that we
decide to leave out of 1.1.

We need a recorder who would collect requirements and comments for TC
review. Chris Kravogel had volunteered for the role before, and
confirmed his willingness to take on the job. We can now regard this
duty as formally assigned to him.

Paul Frankland requested that the requirements be made available for
public review.

Schedule:
- first version of 1.1 requirements for TC review by next week
- public review by April 5th
- requirements complete by April 19th.

Process and schedule approved by consensus.

Chris Kravogel requested that external input (such as the dita-users
Yahoo group) be emailed to him within a week by interested TC members.

  [post-meeting follow-up from Chris K:
   As suggested on the TC meeting, may I ask to add the following e-mail
   address to the minutes for direct postings for post 1.0 issues:
     dita@seicodyne.com
   Any hint or requirement sent is welcome.]

Don Day: the public announcement of the 1.1 requirements document can
recommend using the TC website comments field to submit feedback.

5.  Conference reminders and AOB

JoAnn Hackos reminded members to RSVP on the Annapolis conference
dinner.

Since we lacked quorum, we will use a web-based ballot (Kavi). There
will be 2 ballots:

1. To approve the committee draft (requires 2/3 vote)
2. To submit the committee draft to OASIS (requires simple majority vote).

[post-meeting follow-up: these ballots have been sent out; please vote as
soon as possible!]

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>