Subject: RE: [dita] Final xml:lang proposal

Hi Paul,

1. The dita root element does not have any attributes, and we did not want
to add xml:lang to it without in-depth design analysis. To keep things
minimalistic for the 1.1 release, we chose to keep it where previous DITA
releases allow it.

2. The best practice recommendation is that xml:lang should be set in the
DITA XML files. However, we don't expect the users to explicitly set it.
Usually the authoring/translation tool will set the xml:lang attribute on
behalf of the user.

Best Regards,
Gershon

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul.prescod@blastradius.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:49 PM
To: gershon@tech-tav.com; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

1. Why can't xml:lang be added to the dita root element?

2. As a vendor: I don't intend to require my end-users to specify xml:lang.
If there is a local businses rule requiring it then I would be glad to help
them enforce it (this can easily be done through editing of our templates),
but I'm not going to require every document used within a single monolingual
company to set the attribute ("just in case").