Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 31 October 2006

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee |
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee |
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing |
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 31 October 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 31 October 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 50 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Accept minutes from previous business meeting:
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00079.html (24 Oct)
    Accepted. [moved by Don, seconded by Scott, no objections]

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: inherited attribute values in a DITA relationship table
          * See last minutes for resuming
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00070.html (MP)
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00029.html (Grosso)

          DECISION: Paul moves to accept Michael's proposal with the
          clarification in the spec about the order of inheritance in reltable.
          Rob Franklin seconded. No objections.

    2.  ITEM: Status of Nested Sections Issue
          * See last minutes for resuming
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00060.html (MP latest)

          Eliot stated that this feature is very important for his clients.

          DECISION: Hold off for future release (i.e., maintain status quo for
          DITA 1.1). Eliot formally objects to not supporting nested sections
          in DITA 1.1.

          ACTION: Resume this discussion after Chris Kravogel schedules conference
          call in approximately 2 weeks.

    3.  ITEM: Use of standardized prefixes when incorporating foreign vocabularies
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00021.html

          Yas: This feature is required for at least one editor.

          Eric clarifies: The element after the slash (e.g. class="topic/p")
          should have a namespace prefixed to the p element in the class
          attribute.

          General consensus: Handling of namespace attributes in DITA requires
          some thought, and is already logged to be discussed in the future.

          Yas asked for example of how to correctly incorporate foreign
          vocabulary on the list that we can then discuss on the list.

          Don summarizes: It's a documentation issues and we just need to
          define an example of how to handle the class attribute with foreign
          attributes. Therefore it's a non-issue for the TC.

    4.  ITEM: Versioning of DITA public identifiers
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00025.html

          Paul G: Version and non-version specific versions of DTDs, with
          catalog used to locate the correct DTD.

          Robert: TC needs to declare the public IDs to be used.

          DECISION: Robert moves to change DITA version attribute from text to
          data and to define version-specific IDs in the catalog. Scott
          seconds. No objections.

    5.  ITEM: metadata behaviour in maps
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00012.html

          Robert discussed with Michael before TC meeting. Robert to post
          results of discussion to list.

          ACTION: Robert to post recommendation to list for further discussion.

    6.  ITEM: Ongoing review of 1.1 drafts:
      * Architectural Spec (Michael Priestley)
           * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200609/msg00030.html (Arch Spec)
      * Language Spec (Don Day)
           * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200609/msg00027.html (Lang Spec)
      * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200609/msg00005.html (1.1 XSDs)
      * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200609/msg00004.html (1.1 DTDs)

      Don clarifies (following query from Chris K) that spec will link to
      attribute classes instead of current behavior of listing every attribute.

      ACTION: Don to regenerate language spec.
      ACTION: Everyone to review the specs for comments that have not been noted yet.

    7.  ITEM: Translation best practices
          * Best Practice for Indexing DITA topics
           * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20479/092606%20Best%20Practice%20for%20Indexing%20DITA%20topics_jth.doc

           To be discussed at next week's moving

           ACTION: Gershon to post best practice for TM reuse.

           ACTION for TC members: Review the formal documents submitted by Translation SC.

    8.  ITEM: IPR Transition
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200610/msg00075.html (request from  Mary McRae)

          To be discussed next meeting.

          Don: We're leaning towards royalty free options. We need to make our
          decision shortly. We'll have extended discussion next meeting.

4.  Announcements/Opens

    None.

-- Meeting adjourned at 08:50 --