Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA Proposed Feature #12021: Nesting sections (12021.html) uploaded

Hi Paul

The biggest difference is that the bodydiv/sectiondiv elements act more
like "informal" containers rather than "formal" (titled) blocks like
sections.

One concern raised was that if section was made recursive, it might lead
authors to believe that they could create embedded, nested content that
would be better managed as topics.

The following posts on the mailing list provide some additional
background:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200511/msg00067.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200511/msg00084.html

The biggest advantage I see is that it provides badly needed structure
for specializations that do rely on nested content (I keep going back to
S1000D and ATA as examples since I have had to deal with these recently,
but there are certainly others).  The other advantage that I see is that
these elements provide a logical container for blocks of content that
could potentially be conref'ed elsewhere.  To me, this compliments the
conref range proposal and offers users the ability to structure and
reuse information without needing a heavyweight container like a topic.

Given the suggested content models, there wouldn't be any limitation for
specializations to create their own version of recursive "formal"
blocks, similar to the current DITA section. By doing this, there is the
potential that information that would be better managed as standard
topics could get lost within embedded, nested sections within a topic.

Hope that helps.

Jim

================
Jim Earley