Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 July 2008

 Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 July 2008

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 15 July 2008 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * date : 8 July 2008
    * URL  : http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200807/msg00020.html

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Subcommittee reports (as needed)

    * OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
    * OASIS DITA Learning Content Subcommittee
    * OASIS DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee
    * OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee
    * OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee
    * OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee <-- Update from Stan

        Stan:
            Update: We're writing a best practices guide in DITA on how to use
            DITA to produce a variety of help solutions. We have an outline and
            writing has started.
            Question: Where would you see a little best practice guide like this
            fitting into the DITA 1.2 packages or is it somewhere else?

        JoAnn: BP docs could be issued earlier than the release. She suggested
        following the same procedure as the Translation SC BP docs.

        Don: Could use a committee draft. There is also the other option Mary
        McRae mentioned (an alternative document no-one recalled the name of)
        but it's not available yet.

        Jeff: Should we release all BP docs as part of a DITA spec?

        Don suggested releasing them on dita.xml.org so they become more widely
        accessible. Suggested having an OASIS BP area there.

    * OASIS DITA Adoption TC

4.  Business:

    1.  ITEM (assigned last week): Discuss Jeff's TC Charter Amendment
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200807/msg00017.html (Priestley)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200807/msg00019.html (Self)

        ACTION: Michael to fold the updates into the charter and rework the
        deliverables and any other out of date text for consideration next week.
        Post the updated charter on the Wiki.

        CONTINUED.

    2.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Packages (resume from previous weeks)

        1.  Defer until Aug 5 Machine Industry comeback

            CONTINUED.

        2.  DITA 1.2 specification documents (Michael's Matrix)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200807/msg00004.html (Priestley, et al.)

            Michael: Pinged John and he'll take it to the learning subcommittee
            for review. Awaiting their response.

            Jeff summarized the current state: there are 3 areas -- spec docs,
            doctype shells, and organization of files and directories.
            Michael's proposal addresses the doctype shells. Eliot suggested
            combining bookmap into the technical content area, and that was
            accepted. That implies we'll try to combine the bookmap description
            in the spec rather than in a separate doc. Package would reflect the
            changes in the docs.

            Michael: We'll have software vs machine industry. Does it also make
            sense to have a generic one? I'm now thinking we should have it.
            (Generic means as opposed to tech com and learning and training;
            i.e. industry agnostic. It would only include domains that apply to
            all industries).

            Jeff: We have the following packages:
            * basic = map and topic
            * something for each of the subcommittees
            * software oriented
            * generic tech pubs

            Discussion on goals:
            Adoption TC to write tutorial on how to create your own doctype shell.
            Someone to develop a Web service to automatically create a custom
            doctype shell.

            CONTINUED.

    3.  ITEM: Review anticipated schedule for drafts and remaining input--updates?

        Robert is working on another draft of the lang spec. Incorporating MI
        updates to both spec and DTDs. He expects to post updates by the end of
        next week.

        Jeff: I'm working on the draft outlines of the arch specs.
        We need a list of what the pieces are and folks who volunteer to do an
        in-depth review of each piece (section).

        Don asked Jeff to create the TOCs on the Wiki and then we can ask folks
        to put their names on the Wiki.

        ACTION: Jeff to put the arch spec TOCs up on the Wiki and then to ask TC
        members to sign up to review their interest areas.

        TC members estimate that a full package would be ready for review in
        late August.

        MILESTONE: Committee Draft 1 ready for internal TC review by 9 September
        2008

        ACTION: Review this milestone every week and track review of sub-items.

        CONTINUE discussing change management next week.

        CONTINUED.

    4.  NOTE: latest DITA 1.2 draft uploads:
        * Lang spec ToCJS: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200806/msg00036.html (18 June)
        * Lang spec source: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200806/msg00034.html (18 June)
        * Lang spec CHM: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200806/msg00035.html (18 June)
        * DTDs: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200805/msg00042.html (30 May)