Subject: RE: [dita] Language specification items

Comments/questions below.

   -Jeff

. . .

> 2. We're adding a navtitle element to <topicmeta>. This means that
> <topicgroup>, which allows metadata, will now allow navtitle to slip
in.
> Should the language specification say that navtitle has no meaning in
> topicgroup, in order to maintain its title-less identity?

I'm pretty confused about topicgroup, topichead, vs. topicref in DITA
1.2.

In DITA 1.1 a topicref without an href or navtitle was treated as a
topicgroup (or perhaps it was really the other way around, a topicgroup
was just a topicref without a navtitle or an href).

In DITA 1.2 does this change?  Do we now recognize a topicgroup as a
topicgroup based on the element name or class attribute value as your
question suggests or do we still base this on the presence or absence of
specific attributes?

Does a topicref element without @navtitle, @href, or @keyref still act
like a topicgroup?  Does the presence or absence of a navtitle element
within topicmeta within a topicref change anything?

@navtitle on topichead becomes optional in DITA 1.2 and the navtitle
element within topicmeta within a topicref or specialization is also
optional. Is a topichead without @navtitle and no navtitle element still
a topichead or does it now act like a topicgroup?

> 3. Currently the language spec lists an actual default value for the
> domains attribute description, with different values for map, bookmap,
and
> all of the topics. With DITA 1.2 we will have potentially many more
> document types and different domains values, including multiple
different
> values for the domains attribute on (for example) task. I suggest that
in
> the 1.2 language spec, the domains attribute explain its purpose, but
not
> list a default. Do others agree?

This seems fine to me.