Subject: RE: [dita] Behavior of <q> element

I'd rather not say this.  It's a style question that
may differ from one house to another as to whether
they want to author the quotes or not and/or how the
quote is to be presented.

The determination of what text may be generated for
a given element in a given context and/or what other
formatting it gets for a given output (e.g., one may
format things differently for PDF output and HTML
output) should be left to the style specification,
however such is provided to a given composition system.
This is outside the scope of the DITA specification.

So the answer to how <q> should be processed is that
it should be processed however its style specification
indicates for a given application.

paul