Subject: RE: [dita] Behavior of <q> element

Hi Paul,

I accept your view. I think we should provide a suggested behavior,
particularly in this case where authors may or may not type the
quotation marks themselves. I agree we should not say it MUST do this --
but many readers of the spec have asked for suggested processing
behavior, because they simply don't know any better. So I'm OK writing
this as a suggested, or sample, processing scenario.

Gershon

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 5:59 PM
To: dita

I'd rather not say this.  It's a style question that may differ from one
house to another as to whether they want to author the quotes or not
and/or how the quote is to be presented.

The determination of what text may be generated for a given element in a
given context and/or what other formatting it gets for a given output
(e.g., one may format things differently for PDF output and HTML
output) should be left to the style specification, however such is
provided to a given composition system.
This is outside the scope of the DITA specification.

So the answer to how <q> should be processed is that it should be
processed however its style specification indicates for a given
application.

paul