Subject: RE: [dita] referencing a bookmap from a map

There are two classes of users here. Authors and implementers.

Different authors will feel differently about being allowed or prohibited from shooting themselves in the foot.  And they may feel differently still before and after shooting themselves in the foot.

Implementers (like me) are looking for some guidance. Should we keep authors from shooting themselves in the foot, warn them, but let them shoot themselves in the foot if they wish, or just let them shoot themselves in the foot without any warning. And if we let them shoot themselves in the foot, should different implementations always shoot the same foot or can some implementations shoot the left foot while others shoot the right, while still others shoot the head? As an implementer, what I want to avoid is having someone say that after we shot them in the right foot that we should have shot them in the left foot because that is what some other implementation does or what the DITA specification calls for.

To get back to DITA maps, it would seem that we have some choices, but I'm losing track of who is pushing for what:

1)       Make map to bookmap illegal, Bruce's original approach, now withdrawn.

2)       Allow map to bookmap, where the bookmap context is not overridden by the map, my proposal from earlier today, still on the table.

3)       Michael's proposal that I'm not sure I understand, but which would have map references behave more like conref and so presumably more specialized topicrefs would be generalized to less specialized topicrefs, or pretty much the opposite of approach #2 (Michael, correct me if I got your proposal wrong).

4)       Eliot's proposal, which I'm not sure I understand, but which seems to be "anything goes" leaving it up to the implementers (Eliot, correct me if I got your proposal wrong). .  Eliot would proposal #2 allow you to do what you want to do?

What did I miss?

And of course I’m not really talking about map to bookmap, but really generic map to specialized map (or more likely generic topicref to specialized topicref).

Proposal 12055 doesn't actually call for, but allows some unusual sequences for bookmap to bookmap references (chapters within chapters). Is anyone proposing that we reopen any of the decisions made as part of proposal 12055?  I wasn’t. It seems as if Michael might be? I’m less sure about Eliot.  Eliot, does proposal 12055 prohibit anything that you want to be able to do?

In his note Michael said something about the need to move reltables. This is the first I'd head about that. Reltables can occur at the top level in the hierarchy in maps and not just at the end.  The placement of reltables in bookmaps is more restricted. I'm not sure why. But given what proposal 12055 says, you could certainly get reltables in unexpected places as far as a bookmap is concerned using a bookmap to map reference.  I assumed as implementers that we just had to cope with that as best we can.

And, finally, does “maprefness” cascade from a specialized map to a specialized map or to a generic map as would seem to be called for by proposal 12055? Is a mapref more like a topicref with @format=”ditamap” than it is like a chapter with @format=”ditamap”? How does an implementation tell the difference between mapref and chapter by just looking at the DTD or schema? Are there any other specialized topicrefs similar to mapref that need special consideration as far as proposal 12055 goes?

   -Jeff