Subject: Implementation Question/Spec Clarification: Implication of redundantchunk="to-content"

Consider this map:

<map>
  <topicref
    chunk="to-content"
    href="topics/higher.dita">
   <topicref
    chunk="to-content"
    href="topics/lower.dita"/>
  </topicref>
</map>

If I process this map with the current 1.5 milestone release, I get *two*
HTML pages in the output, one for higher.dita and one for lower.dita.

However, the behavior I *wanted* was that I get one HTML page in the output,
reflecting the content of higher.dita and lower.dita.

My question: is my expectation justified by either the current spec or the
intent of the Architects?

My expectation based on my reading of the spec and on what makes sense to me
is that the highest-level specification of @chunk to-content governs and all
subordinate to-content values (if not all @chunk values) are ignored,
meaning if I say "to content" I mean to-content for the entire tree.

I suspect that the current Toolkit behavior is just a silly bug but @chunk
semantics are complicated and subtle enough that I want to make sure.

This is more than just a case of the above being user error.

In the case of the Learning map domain, I am planning to propose that the
learningContentRef topicref specialization set "to-content" as the default
value for @chunk, reflecting the general SCORM requirement that all content
be rendered as a single leaf HTML page (or equivalent) in a SCORM package.

But if the current Toolkit behavior is correct per the spec, then it would
very bad to set that default.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>