Subject: Re: [dita] Order for lang ref files (Was "Re: [dita] problem with packagingof glossaries")

Hi Kris,

Maybe something like:

Topic elements
        Prolog elements
        Body elements
        Related-link elements
Map elements
        Basic map elements
        Mapgroup domain elements
        Subject scheme elements
Shared elements
        Indexing elements
        etc.
DITAVAL elements

I know I haven't captured everything - but the basic thought would be to organize primarily around topic vs map etc., and then within that distinction organize by order within the doctype (when possible), or by general-to-specific or most-used to least-used (when there is no doctype order).

If we were just laying out all elements, then alpha order would make sense. But once we add groupings, then the groupings aren't really useful in alpha order - they aren't things users are looking up because they know about them, but things that add meaning to the structure for users who don't know what they're looking for. So the more meaning we can pack into the order the better.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

Kristen James Eberlein <keberlein@pobox.com>

08/21/2009 12:56 PM

Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
DITA TC <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
[dita] Order for lang ref files (Was "Re: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries")

Obviously, the files are currently sorted alphabetically. Do you have an alternative that you would favor?

Michael Priestley wrote:

Some potential users of the base package:

- people creating tools that work with simple content applications with minimal structure, like unstructured blogs, news feeds, web page components...

- people who would otherwise not read the spec because it's too big, and can now be seduced into reading just the first part, which provides a context that makes the rest less intimidating

Re the organization below - I'm not sure about the order but the split looks right.

Thanks for making this discussion concrete.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect

mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

Kristen James Eberlein <keberlein@pobox.com>

08/21/2009 10:33 AM

DITA TC <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries

Two key issues:

1.
Who do we anticipate being the potential users of the base package?
2.
Michael, I want you to look at the current contents of the language reference material for both the base and technical content version. Is this as you have been envisioning it?