OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 5 October 2010

 <<Minutes20100928.txt>> DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 5
October 2010
Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>
The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 5 October  2010 at 08:00am
PT for 55 minutes.
8:00-8:05 Roll call
* Regrets: Hackos, Grosso
> Quorum was achieved.
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00149.html (Nevin
for 28 September, revised)  
> Don moved, seconded by Dick, approved by acclamation.
Subcommittee/liaison reports:
* OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee (Oct 5 by Stan Doherty)
> Expanded to DITA Adoption Help SC. Tony Self has ably organized all.
Fears of diluting effort or losing focus have proved unfounded.
Cross-fertilization has helped to clarify work on proposals. Example:
discussion of "what is a target online help system now" on SC, realized
on ASC side that contextual application is more important than
Proposals nearing submission to the TC this month or next: 
  1. Help DITA map specification. Specify dimensions, etc. of popup help
popup window, to pass through to processors.
  2. Metadata for callback IDs for processors.
> Don: for 1.3 scope? Stan: yes.
ACTION: Stan: add these to the list of 1.3 items to consider.
* Next up: OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee (12
Oct by Michael Boses)
Action Items:
* Review open items:
Kris and Eric will complete and close their items.
1. New ITEM: Changes in OASIS TC processes, more
o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201010/msg00010.html
o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201010/msg00011.html
o http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php (TC Process/Policy
> There is a lot of information here that will require careful review by
TC members. We may be able to move under the new rules and expedite the
decision on the final vote. Mary's email: we are on track for ballot in
December or January, but if there is a longer delay we'll need another
60-day review. 
> Kris: Mary's saying we're either old or new rules, but no combination.
Under new rules, earliest vote would be mid-December-probably bad
Don: will she allow us to switch to the new rules in mid process. Kris:
that would require a 60-day candidate review after the current review. 
> Michael: let's get to ballot this year, and the new rules take effect
next year. Don: But would the new rules allow us to get to ballot
quicker this year? 
> Kris: if the earliest vote we can manage is mid December, do we want
to push it out? 
> Don: Hard to get requisite votes. 
> Michael: if it pushes out, it will have another year date on it. Mary
doesn't address Kris's question directly, best to ask this bit
explicitly. Must contact primary rep and lobby for votes. We wouldn't be
looking at a December vote if OASIS process issues had not slowed things
down so much. Kris: who are the company primary reps? 
> Don: we will proceed with the current rules and research consequences
of failure to pass.
> Kris: We only need 15% of voting members.
> Michael, Robert: most member companies have little understanding of
DITA, and so don't vote. The large number of members actually makes it
harder to achieve 15%.
> Bruce: Enlist help of Adoption TC, and, through them, of others who
feel an urgent need for the release of DITA 1.2.
ACTION: Michael Priestley: put the question to Mary, and alert IBM's
primary rep and ask if there's any room to expedite the process.
ACTION: Don: locate OASIS list of primary reps.
ACTION: Kris: research consequences of failing to muster a vote under
old rules
2. ITEM: Review of CD production and subsequent 15-day Review request
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201010/msg00000.html (PDF
draft upload, Eberlein)
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00178.html
(Request for date, Eberlein)
3. ITEM: Review of packaging survey (Buchholz and Hackos action)
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201010/msg00004.html
> JoAnn not available. Parameters of survey draft: For what tasks, how
much time dedicated to DITA, and at what stage are you.
Suggestions and comments welcome.  Doug Morrison: ask more about what
they're using DITA for, what area of the business, particularly looking
for anything outside of Tech Pubs. Allow for more than yes/no, e.g. "No,
but intend to." Or expand the question, e.g. "Yes, I'm using or intend
to use". 
> Perhaps a member company can extend to us use of their survey tool;
the free ones have limitations. JoAnn may already have something.
Will report again in a couple of weeks.
We resumed discussion of how to resolve new Item 1. Michael sent a query
to Mary. We will follow up in email.
9:00 Adjourn

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 28 September 2010
Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 28 September 2010 at 08:15am PT for 40 minutes, delayed by a technical issue with the moderator's access code.
8:15-8:20 Roll call
Roll call:
* Regrets: Gershon Joseph, Richard Hamilton
> Quorum was achieved.


Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
  o  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00089.html (Nevin for 21 September)
  Moved: Don Day; seconded: Kris Eberlein

Subcommittee/liaison reports:
  o  OASIS DITA for the Web 2.0 Subcommittee  
    > http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/WebSubcommittee/Microformats_Use_Cases
  o  OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee (Oct 5 by Stan Doherty)
  o  OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee (October 12)

  o  PublicReview1Comments
  >  No more comments accepted. Actions from prior comments now to be closed.


1.	ITEM: TC vote for Committee Draft 04
       o  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00138.html (Eberlein)
    > Consensus reached to move acceptance.
    > Bruce Nevin moved that we vote to accept CD04 as a Committee draft and to request a 15-day OASIS review.
    > Robert Anderson seconded the motion.
    > The resolution was approved unanimously by individual poll of voting members present.
    ACTION: Kris Eberlein: submit CD04 as a committee draft and request a 15-day OASIS review.

2.	ITEM: Initiate TC discussion about post-1.2 packaging
       o  At the TC meeting on 13 July 2010, Gershon raised the point that we need to consider how we will handle SC releases and niche specializations going forward. The user community is concerned by the "weight" and "size" of the DITA 1.2 release.
    > Robert: This is about future deliverables after 1.2, i.e. convenience packaging of the 1.2 materials after the initial posting.
    > Need to identify communities of interest calling for subset and specialized packages, like Tech Pub.
    > Robert: base materials, technical content, learning and training. Default is everything.
    > Kris: we decided initially to provide the default and post instructions on dita.xml for subsetting.
    > JoAnn: do we have precedent for other TCs providing more than one spec document, where they are interdependent?
    > Thilo Buchholz: identify target groups so we can profile
    > Bruce: has advocated BusDocs formulate results as a framework to guide subsetting and specializing in a rational and mutually coherent way.
    > Michael: Can we do a survey? Don: Dita Users has a polling function, but you have to specify the values in advance. Kris: There are plenty of web-based survey tools. Don: Might need to preserve corporate anonymity, and they may also need to protect IP. Michael: their solution to protecting trade secrets is just not to respond. Don: may need to rely on statisticians and poll-takers in the committee. Is surveymonkey an appropriate tool?
    > This has implications for reuse. Those who have capacity to create their own shells will also be capable of subsetting the spec. No, this is about reaching those who are not already engaged with DITA, and it's about managing the perception of DITA's complexity.
    ACTION: Thilo Buchholz, JoAnn Hackos: investigate some survey methods and make a recommendation next week. Start a thread on the DITA TC alias.

8:50-8:55 Announcements/Opens
Happy birthday to Mark Lewis!

8:55 Adjourn

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]