Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XSL print StyleSheets

Norman Walsh writes:
 > / Ken Bowley <johann@vikingsystems.com> was heard to say:
 > | On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > | > Matthew Harrison writes:
 > | >  > can anyone give an estimated ETA for XSL print stylesheets for docbook?
 > | > about 6 months ago, on Norm Walsh's web site
 > |
 > | I just grabbed the zip file from his site and I couldn't find any
 > | "print" stylesheets in there, only html and xhtml.
 >
 > They're in the 'fo' directory. And the fastest way to get me to improve
 > them is to report what's wrong with them (hint, hint :-)

Well now you tell me!! :?) But seriously, many thanks for the reply.
Being somewhat new to XML and SGML and the like, I thought that the print
stylesheets would be under "print" like the DSSSL. I'm a bit closer to
printing from xml, but not quite there yet..

Here are my problems to report:

1. The coverage on getting started with XML is rather thin, but as I'm new to either
XML or SGML, I've opted for the XML route, for my own reasons. With improved XML
coverage in the docs, we could get up to speed quicker, and be quicker with the
feedback.

2. The DSSSL print and html stylesheets (1.54) don't seem to handle articleinfo (ok, so
we're a little bit bleeding edge and decided to go straight for v4 :?) which is
why we decided to try the XML, as the XSL html stylesheets handled articleinfo,
and we could produce html with them..

3. But I'm still not in print by this route. 'fo' stylesheets produce fo (I'm
learning as I go here :?), not tex like the DSSSL print stylesheets
and don't quite get me printing. I'm sure I've missed something.
How do I get from fo to tex? (or to print by any route, apart from
printing html from a browser or using html2ps)?

4. fo XSL stylesheets don't seem to handle articleinfo either. (1.11)

many thanks for bearing with me,

Matthew Harrison