Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XML editor for Windoze

> From: Martin Perina <martin.perina@ataco.cz>
>
> I'd like to know your suggestions for some Windoze XML editors
> for creating DocBook documents. Personally I prefer Emacs+PSGML, but
> our Windoze users are scared to death from these. Do you know some
> other more user friendly editors? I'd like them to have these features:
>
> 1) Support for some WYSIWYG mode editing
> 2) Support for Czech encodings WINDOWS-1250 and ISO-8859-2
> 3) Support for nice Emacs+PSGML features

I suggest you look at XMetal from SoftQuad.
I use it regularly for writing DocBook XML files,
and I've found it quite usable.
It uses CSS to format XML in the editor window, so
you can work in a formatted view.  Of course, it's
not really WYSIWYG because your output depends on
your selection of processing stylesheet.   But it
is a formatted representation that provides visual cues
for the document structure, which
I presume is what you mean.  You have to spend time
writing the cascading stylesheet, though.
It is highly customizable, so the more time you spend
setting it up, the easier it is to use for
your application.

I can't speak to its Emacs+PSGML features
or its Czech encodings support.

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com