Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: possible bug in XSL rendering of complex tables

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> / Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
> [...]
>
> | Also, in my experience at least, there are some complex tables (i.e.
> | ones with multiple horizontal and vertical spans) that the XSL
> | stylesheets won't process correctly, but the DSSSL stylesheets will.
>
> Won't process correctly when you're producing HTML or print? If it's
> HTML, I want to see the source :-) If it's print, well, my guess would
> be that it's a formatter issue.

At the end of the message, I've included the DocBook XML source for a
problem document, and also put it up at:

  http://www.logopoeia.com/xml/tablespans.xml

Here's how Saxon and the current v1.29 stylesheets render it in HTML:

  http://www.logopoeia.com/xml/129xsl-tablespans.html

I assumed this was a difference that had always existed with the XSL
sheets, but I just did a little checking with an older (v1.18) version
and discovered that those actually render it correctly:

  http://www.logopoeia.com/xml/118xsl-tablespans.html

So it seems like a difference that's been introduced since then. But I
can't say from my experience quite when, except it's existed since
v1.26 at least, cause I tried those too and got same thing as v1.29.

<!DOCTYPE table
  PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">

  <title>Table</title>
  <tgroup cols="6" align="left" colsep="1" rowsep="1">
    <colspec colnum="1" colname="c1"/>
    <colspec colnum="2" colname="c2"/>
    <colspec colnum="3" colname="c3"/>
    <colspec colnum="4" colname="c4"/>