Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Linux Weekly News: A quick look at Conglomerate 0.70

At 17:30 15/09/2003, Dave Pawson wrote:
>At 20:21 14/09/2003 +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:
>The Achilles heel of DocBook when "selling" it as a MSWord
>replacement,
>
>What a horrible thought.
>I hope docbook is never as bad as word.

I don't understand how could Docbook "replace" MSWord when (as I understand
it) they are very different things: Docbook is a system for writing
structured XML documents (or SGML, I suppose) and Word is a word-processing
application.  Word is used to edit compatible files that contain text
and/or images (independent of structure), but Docbook describes how your
document is going to behave structurally, independent of what apps you use
to edit files adhering to that structure.

And I have some difficulty imagining my grandmother sitting down to write a
short letter using Docbook XML (actually, I wouldn't do that either --
MSWord, for all it's shortcomings, is perfectly sufficient for that task at
present :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl E. Anderson  mailto:cea@ncipher.com  http://www.ncipher.com/
nCipher Corporation Ltd.   +44 1223 723690   Fax: +44 1223 723601