Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

On 7/17/05, Mauritz Jeanson <mj@johanneberg.com> wrote:
> [...]

[...  snip ...]

>> I think, that's not the whole story: XML needs a public _and_
>> a system identifier in the DOCTYPE declaration.
>
> Just a small clarification: a valid XML document must have a system
> identifier. It may also have a public identifier, but that is not required.

Actually, a valid xml document doesn't need a doctype declaration at
all. I never use them in my documents.

If you're thinking about moving to xml (which seems like a really good
idea), I suggest you look beyond the DTD-based options, which have a
lot of baggage (like doctype declarations). The next version of
DocBook is authored with RELAX NG, and is namespaced.

Bruce