Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On 7/17/05, Mauritz Jeanson <mj@johanneberg.com> wrote:

No and no. A valid XML document MUST have a DOCTYPE declaration. A
merely well-formed document does not need one, but it is required for
validity.

In order for a document to be valid the document type declaration must
contain either a system identifier pointing to an external DTD subset or
an internal DTD subset or both. A valid document may but does not have
to have a public identifier. However XML does not allow public
identifiers without system identifiers in DOCTYPE declarations. Even if
you use the PUBLIC keyword, you most provide both a public ID and a
system ID.