Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Table of Contents formatting

Hi Tristan,
You will find that emphasis in a TOC title does work except when the
emphasis contains a descendant that is a link, as is your ulink.  Because a
TOC entry is a link, it cannot contain a nested link.  I don't think you
want to click on the word "Google" in the TOC and go to the Google website.
You would expect to go to the section in the document with that title, and
from there perhaps click on the Google link.

Anyway, any elements in a TOC title that contain a link element are
processed in no.anchor.mode to prevent nested links.  But there is not a
complete set of templates in no.anchor.mode that match the normal templates
like emphasis.  That would require duplicating a lot of templates.  You may
ask why not just process the emphasis element with the regular template and
just the ulink in no.anchor.mode?  Because the regular emphasis template
doesn't know to use apply-templates mode="no.anchor.mode" for its children,
so the mode usage is lost and you get a nested link.

You can work around the problem by nesting your emphasis inside the ulink:

<ulink url="http://www.google.com";

Now the regular emphasis template can be used because the element no longer
contains a link.  The link has already been handled in no.anchor.mode.

Mode handling in XSLT 2 is much more flexible, so it might be possible to
handle this better then.

DocBook Consulting