Subject: Turning off table/figure numbering?

Is there a way to disable table/figure numbering entirely? I have a
document with chapter/section autonumbering turned off, but tables
still are numbered in the TOC with the table/figure-within-chapter
number.  Can I disable this?

Rationale: This is for an online document. References are hyperlinked
and titles of things referred to don't strictly need any numbering
because the link is sufficient to take you to the referred-to item.

I realize there may be arguments against turning off numbering. I am
trying to see how far this can be taken.

Thanks.