Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook to text

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 07:32:39AM +0200, Rasmus Kaj wrote:
> tor 2008-06-05 klockan 05:00 +0200 skrev W. Martin Borgert:
> > I'm a little bit lost about which DocBook to text solution works
> > best. With the DocBook XSL stylesheets, I can generate HTML and
> > use a text based web client for rendering HTML to text. So far,
> > I'm not satisfied:
>
> I would probably use the "manpages" output from xsl stylesheets, as
> there is nice rendering of those to plain text (i.e. by the "man"
> command).
>
> Not sure if it covers all your requirements, but I think it's worth a
> try.

Thanks for the hint, I thought about that, too. But: AFAIK, the
manpages output covers only <refentry>, but not <article> or
<book>. Further, the support of UTF-8 in the free roff tools was
poor, last time I looked. Maybe I'm wrong in both respects?

I'm thinking about post-processing the XHTML before letting w3m
render it to text format. Does anybody have an example XSL file
for processing DocBook XSLs XHTML, so that I do not need to
start from zero? Thanks in advance!