Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] acronyms, abbreviations, definitions

Hello Nathalie,

A couple of things:

  1) You don't have to have a single glossary database for all your documents.
     It is quite reasonable to break it up into glossaries that are topic-appropriate.

  2) Title was what the W3C consortium recommend at one time for the expansion.  I have
     not kept up with it for a while, since dropping out of the accessibility police in
     the writing group I worked with.  If you want to have other behavior, such as
     expanding it inline, it is a matter of slightly different coding to make it work.
     I have noticed that there is a lot of variability in what screen readers actually
     do with the same source markup and find that somewhat frustrating.  It is similar
     to the CSS wars among browsers in the early days of CSS (when we had to use a
     JavaScript to load the appropriate CSS file based on the platform and browser
     being used (and even version of browser in some cases).  There is some chatter on
     the Web that indicates using acronym vs. abbr can lead to different behavior for
     the title.

  3) If you are worried about the size of a glossary database, the same thing can be
     done with a glossary section in a book (or other document).  The downside is that
     you have to repeat the glossterm in each document it is used in, but the upside is
     you can customize the glossary appropriately in a manner appropriate to a specific
     context.  I wrote a simple script to extract terms from a master glossary and
     add them to a glossary which was then made part of the book itself, rather than
     using the glossary database (specifically to avoid problems with render time and
     creeping changes in a glossary -- you don't always want the most current version
     of glossary entries every time a document is built).

  4) The expansion was added to the acronym element, as recommended by W3C for
     expansion of acronyms.  A title on the anchor element (the a) would be associated
     with the link destination rather than with the acronym.

As a friend of mine frequently says, "I admire your problem."

Good luck solving it.

Best Regards,
Larry Rowland