Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Two nagging problems with docbook2pdf in texlive 2019

> Iâve been chatting, off and on, with Peter Flynn about working
> on a way to use TeX as a formatting back end in the modern era.

dblatex?
   https://pypi.org/project/dblatex/
   http://dblatex.sourceforge.net

In the period 2006 through 2016, we used dblatex with XeLaTeX a *lot*, and found it very good. It did require some tailoring for our purposes, in part because we had some additions to the DocBook schema for linguistic "stuff", and in part to convert it into the styles we were using, one of which was a style conforming to the Mouton language grammar series. Some of the tailoring was in XSLT (yuck, although I suppose your mileage may vary), and some was in LaTeX style sheets.

To boast a little, one of the grammars that we typeset with DocBook + dblatex + XeLaTex is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Descriptive-Grammar-Pashto-Its-Dialects/dp/B00XTAT77U/

Unfortunately, the "Look inside" view doesn't let you see our Arabic script examples (right-to-left text, of course), but trust me, they're pretty :).

It looks like dblatex hasn't been updated for a few years, but in our experience it was reasonably mature. At the very least, it could provide a good starting point.