Subject: Re: RFE 144 and 145

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| I'd like to formally request that we re-open RFE 144 for discussion.

We can certainly discuss it.

| it too-- but I don't understand why it can't be handled with the
| existing list content models; for example, by marking it up like this:
|
|   <para>The current implementation of the product does not yet
|   fully support the following items:
|
|     <itemizedlist>
|       <listitem>
|        <para>namespace attribute inheritance</para>
|       </listitem>
|       <listitem>
|         <para>nested grammars</para>
|       </listitem>
|       <listitem>
|         <para>parent attribute on the ref element</para>
|       </listitem>
|     </itemizedlist>
|
|   However, those items will be supported in future versions.
|   </para>
|
| Are there case where that's not adequate?

Yes. Consider the case of a titled list, where you want the
introductory material to appear below the title but before the first
list item.  Wrapping the list in a section or some similar
construction doesn't work because the list might need to appear
between two paragraphs. A container like sidebar would work, I
suppose.

There's a precedent for introductory material before the first item,
Procedure has had that content model for ages.

Similarly, the case some of my esteemed colleagues from Sun are
arguing for isn't solved by this solution because they want a titled
thing to appear after the last step in the procedure.

That said, I am rather strongly opposed to putting a section inside a
procedure, I think that's just *wrong* from the perspective of
hierarchy.

| I have other reasons in mind for why the list content models shouldn't
| change, and also for why the <procedure> structure shouldn't be used
| as a model for other elements, but I'll hold off on them for now.

Please don't hold off. Open up with both barrels. We're a friendly
bunch. :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The common excuse of those who
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | bring misfortune on others is that
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | they desire their