Subject: Schematron problem in DB5 grammar

Hi Norm,

today I found one problem in a way in which Schematron is embedded
inside RELAX NG schema. Schematron specification requieres that rule
elements are enclosed in pattern element. However pattern elements are
missing in the schema. Some tools (in this case oXygen) are then unable
to process embeded Schematron rules.

Hard to say whether this can be considered as a bug in the schema
because I didn't find any normative description of interaction between
RELAX NG a Schematron.

I think that we could left RNC schema intact as it is mostly source
format and I don't know any Schematron validator which is able to
extract rules from RNC files. However I would suggest to surround rule
elements by pattern element in RNG schemas. This should be matter of
simple XSLT transformation in the build process. We also should add

<s:ns prefix="db" uri="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
xmlns:s="http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron"/>

to the top of RNG schema. This is good practice in Schematron because of
YOU-KNOW-WHO (QNames in attribute values ;-) and some Schematron
implementatios are not working without this.

I'm really looking forward for releasing "TC blessed" DocBook V5. I
think it would put more attraction to new schemas and similar minor
problems will be found and sorted out fastly.

					Jirka

   Nejbližší termíny školení: DocBook 5.-7.12. * XSL-FO 19.-20.12.
      XSLT 17.-20.10. * XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature