Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

On Tuesday 21 December 1999, at 17 h 16, the keyboard of Karl Eichwalder
<ke@suse.de> wrote:

> Wondering again why people refuse to use SGML and "marked sections"...

Several reasons. Top two for me:

- marked sections may contain errors since they are not validated if IGNOREd.
Using a new attribute means that your document has still to be entirely valid.

- you cannot do more complicated algebra like 'This phrase is only true
between releases 1.3 and 2.1'.

> XML is to please machines and not to make the writer happy.

XML is to please the people who write custom applications. Exactly what I did to implement the OS versioning scheme. A few lines of Perl and I can extract each version.

--
An happy XML writer