Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Marking up tables with separators

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:18:03PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk> was heard to say:
> | How would I go about marking up a table in docbook with partial frame
> | lines?
> |
> | Here's the content:
> |
> | 	    a b c * d
> | 	    e f g * h
> | 	    i j k * l
> | 	    * * * * *
> | 	    m n o * p
> |
> | What I'd like to do is have the *'s replaced with nice unbroken
> | separators.  Is there any way of doing this?
> |
> | My markup is currently:
>
> Try it like this:

[cut]

> That should work for FO and for HTML with CSS.

Yes, that works find for my pdf (jadetex) output, but I've got no
borders in the html.

Actually is there a way of specifying that the table shouldn't be
full width of the page, and that it should be centered?  In the
tex/pdf output it's stretched.  I've been adding empty columns
(<entry></entry>) and adjusting the proportions using <colspec
colwidth="X"> specifiers, but now I've got these separators of
course the empty columns are separated as well :(.

Joe.

p.s. I am using the 1.77 dsssl stylesheets.