Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: proper use of indexterm?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:30:52PM +0100, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
> According to the DocBook guide, one can insert <indexterm> tags in all
> kind of places.  However, nsgmls always gives me an error message
> ("document type does not allow element "indexterm" here");
> the only place I found where <indexterm> was acceptable, is in an <index>
> - which is the last place where I want to use it.
>
> My intention is to have stanza's like:
> <glossentry id="whatever">
> 	<glossterm>whatever</glossterm>
> 	<glossdef>
> 		<para>however</para>
> 	</glossdef>
> </glossentry>
>
> Any word that is in the glossary is interesting, so should be in the
> index; I hoped to accomplish that by specifying the indexterm in the
> glossentry - which appears legal from the documentation - and have the
> processors search a <part label="A"> for occurences of the term.

Certainly indexterm can be included in many elements in
DocBook, but not every place.
Look more closely at the content model for glossentry.
Any indexterms should come after the glossterm and
before the glossdef.

I'm curious about other places where you found
that indexterm was not accepted.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com