Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: proper use of indexterm?

/ "A.R. (Tom) Peters" <tpeters@xs4all.nl> was heard to say:
| According to the DocBook guide, one can insert <indexterm> tags in all
| kind of places.  However, nsgmls always gives me an error message
| ("document type does not allow element "indexterm" here");
| the only place I found where <indexterm> was acceptable, is in an <index>
| - which is the last place where I want to use it.

And one place where it shouldn't be allowed. Sigh. XML doesn't have inclusions
or exclusions so it's a little tricky to handle these "global" elements.

In the particular case you present:

| <glossentry id="whatever">
| 	<glossterm>whatever</glossterm>
| 	<glossdef>
| 		<para>however</para>
| 	</glossdef>
| </glossentry>

A quick peek at http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/glossentry.html reveals

glossentry ::=
(glossterm,acronym?,abbrev?,
 (indexterm)*,
 revhistory?,
 (glosssee|glossdef+))

which means that indexterm has to come after the glossterms:

 <glossentry id="whatever">
 	<glossterm>whatever</glossterm>
 	<glossdef>
 		<para>however</para>
 	</glossdef>
 </glossentry>

Though I think I'd be inclined to put it in the glossdef myself:

 <glossentry id="whatever">
 	<glossterm>whatever</glossterm>
 	<glossdef>
however</para>
 	</glossdef>
 </glossentry>

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | In a universe of electrons and
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | selfish genes, blind physical
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | forces and genetic replication,