Subject: DOCBOOK: bidi [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18Feb 2003]

At 14:35 2003 02 18 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:

>DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Feb 2003
>
>|      573419 Add bidirectional text overrides
>
>ACTION: Norm to ask Tony/Paul for a summary of what is missing from
>DocBook to support proper mixed bidi text.

Um, mostly "ask Tony".

My very untutored understanding is that there are two key branches here:

1.  There is markup delimiting the language change--whether it is
    specifically markup to "change language" or it is other markup
    such as "foobar-number" whose content is known to require a
    direction change (e.g., numbers in Hebrew are written left-to-right).

    In this case, there is nothing more we need in the DTD.  A stylesheet
    would decorate the necessary markup with the necessary language
    (or direction or whatever) information that determines the direction,
    and it's up to the formatter to do the right thing.

2.  There is no markup delimiting the region that needs to change direction.
    Instead, the character data includes some Unicode code-points that are
    used to imply direction changing.

    In this case, what can we do?  It's not a markup question any more.
    It's a question of "do magic because you found a magic byte combination
    in my character stream."  (Can you tell what I think of this?)  But I
    really do not see how this could possibly be something we could address
    via the DocBook DTD.

So my analysis says we don't need to (in fact, can't) do anything.

But I could be completely wrong.

paul